Thursday, February 2, 2012

Social Bookmarking

As I was reading chapter 2 in the the Hicks book, The Digital Writing Workshop, I came across the subject of social bookmarking. Thea first thing that came to my mind when I read it was Pinterest. According to Wikipedia, "Pinterest (pronounced to rhyme with "interest") is a vision board-styled social photo sharing website and app where users can create and manage theme-based image collections." Wikipedia also goes on to say, "The mission statement of Pinterest is to connect everyone in the world through shared tastes and the 'things' they find interesting" As a future educator I have found Pinterest to be extremely helpful. I have a pinboard titled "Teaching English" where I have pinned many items that I have come across that I can use in my classroom someday. Some of the things I have pinned are lesson plans, classroom posters, and even student activities. Pinterest was listed as one of the top 50 websites in 2011 by Time magazine. I think that Pinterest is a really great way for educators to share ideas with one another. Sure, I follow my friends on Pinterest, but there are also people that I have found on Pinterest and began to follow because that have English education pin-boards as well.
So, if you have a Pinterest feel free to follow me HERE, and if you don't you should really check it out!
Here is one of the inspiring English related pins that I came across and would love to display in my classroom someday maybe on a poster:

I'm not sure if Pinterest is actually considered a "social bookmarking" tool, but it is the closest thing that I have used. It tags all of these webpages for the specific content into one area so that I can easily access it, and I'm not filling up my bookmark or favorites toolbar, so it keeps my computer more organized, and I can also share everything that I pin with others.
Happy pinning everyone!

J.A.M.

2 comments:

  1. I am seeing many more students (and friends) talk about pinterest these days. I think it's interesting that you find it as a means for "not filling up (your) bookmark or favorites toolbar. Do you envision students use the tool? How so?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely think that it is flexible for students to use Pinterest as well. Julie's presentation yesterday about the cell phone photos made me realize that instead of using a Flickr account to do the six word story activity that students could upload their photos onto Pinterest and the teacher could then put them all onto one pin-board. When the students wrote a six word story about the other students photos they could simply re-pin the photo and add their story. Just a thought I had after class yesterday.

    ReplyDelete